Translate

Sunday, August 1, 2021

How I Experience God

How I Experience God

1. doing good/making a difference in the world (causes: environment, immigration, poverty, health, education)

2. singing/music

3. being surrounded by Creation in nature

4. being inspired or motivated to grow and become a better version of myself (cultivating virtues, self-help with healthy boundaries and self-esteem, working on my body via exercise and nutrition)

5. learning about the world around us (science, history, anthropology, languages...)

6. feeling a sense of connection to people in other times and places (tradition and ritual, though my two homebirths did the same thing)

It seems that the only one of the above that I would need conventional organized religion for is #6.  And since I have experienced that sense most acutely outside of the context of religion (by giving birth at home and having a keen sense of connection to the countless women who likewise gave birth before me and who continue to give birth around the world), then there must be other ways that I can find a sense of connection to other people.  Perhaps through tradition and ritual that isn't tied to religion.  National traditions? Universally human "traditions"? (What do most people tend to do?  What have they tended to do throughout history?  Romantic love, parental love, coming of age, experiencing beauty, practicing goodness via altruism, challenging ourselves physically/mentally, laughter, pursuit of truth/knowledge/wisdom...)

No comments:

Post a Comment