Translate

Sunday, November 28, 2021

Autistic Spirituality

 How does my autism affect my spirituality and religiosity?

1. The clear boundaries of the Catholic (and now Orthodox) liturgical service help orient me in a time and place reserved for a sense of worship.  

2. However, my sense of justice does not let me rest knowing that there are things the church I "belong" to teaches that are contrary to what I consider right and just.  (women in leadership, LGBTQ, pro-life)

3. Also, my sense of integrity keeps nagging at me when I try to participate in a church with which I know I do not fully agree even on matters of basic theology.

What is the solution?  Where focus goes, energy flows.  I can keep focusing on how I can't find what I'm looking for, because I keep hoping I can find all I'm looking for in a single place of worship.  Or I can focus on the needs that ARE being met in various avenues.

1. Saturday Vespers at Holy Cross Orthodox church (and for the time being, the Intro to Orthodoxy class and reading the book).  Whatever is beautiful is of God, and this liturgical service is beautiful.  It's colorful murals and vestments, candle-lit, acapella chanting, incense, bells, standing for attention, bowing and crossing self for an embodied sense of participation, feeling comfortable wearing a prayer shawl.

2. Joining a Meditation Sangha to establish a daily ritual of meditation, of going inward to really get in touch with that of God that my soul is a part of, realizing the true nature of who "I" am, and therefore being able to prioritize what matters and visualize what is important to me.

3. Tai Chi - daily practice and monthly class at Full Circle with Shifu Mike.

4. Daily meditation incorporated with Yoga poses.

5. Daily reading of Scripture and Tao Te Ching, journaling

6. Quarterly Overnight Retreats

7. Church with the family where Oscar wants to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment