Translate

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Awe, Pure Joy, Gratitude, Beautiful Aesthetics, Character Formation, (and Service)

When it comes right down to it, these 5/6 elements are what draws me (again and again) to religion.  To all kinds of different religions.  Because I can see some - or all - of these elements in many different religions.  "Objective Truth" is not a marker for me, as I do not believe that it can be defined, much less described within the limitations of human language.  I think it can be experienced to a degree, but that experience lives outside the confines of organized religion.

And so, with these 5/6 elements in mind, I embark on a renewed spiritual journey - not towards some outward goal located in a conversion to another religion, but in an inward stillness that, after surrounding myself with the various elements, I can truly experience the freedom that Jesus taught and that others since him have called "salvation".

Nature - awe, gratitude, beautiful aesthetics, pure joy, and to a degree, character formation.

Ancient liturgy - beautiful aesthetics, pure joy, gratitude, character formation.

Music - awe, pure joy, beautiful aesthetics, gratitude.

Spiritual reading - character formation, gratitude, pure joy, and possibly beautiful aesthetic (especially in poetry)

Movement (yoga, tai chi) - gratitude, beautiful aesthetics, character formation

I originally started with five elements of religion, and went back to add service after looking over the above experiences.  Though I can find at least several of the elements that draw me to "religion" in the above examples, I am saddened and ashamed to notice that there isn't anything about service to others.  It's all about me and my personal experience, how it makes me feel.  Even when character formation is an element, it's a matter of piety or virtue signalling, making myself feel good about how "good" I am.  Yet when I think about service, something I've long felt a tugging on my heart but have had the hardest time plugging into, I think of human interactions and the difficulties I have in that area. So perhaps that is one area I need to add:

Service - character formation, gratitude.

Or, rather, should service be in the list of religious elements instead?

Litter pick-up - service, gratitude, character formation.  

Look at that, I found an example of a service project that does not involve human interaction.  I need to both focus on it, and look for similar ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment