Translate

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Eucharist as Idol?

I've been wondering lately if I've turned the Eucharistic host into an idol.  When I was discerning conversion to the Orthodox Church, one of my stumbling blocks was the form of Communion - by spoon!  We attended an Eastern Rite Catholic church once where we opted out of receiving Communion (we also went to a TLM later that day, where we did receive Communion), even though we were technically eligible to receive. 

When we settled on the Maronite church, it seemed like it had the best of both worlds.  The Eucharist was in the familiar host form, dipped in the wine, but the liturgical prayers and hymns were more reverent than in the Roman Rite Novus Ordo Mass.  However, after three months of weekly attendance at the Maronite Divine Liturgy, I'm starting to get antsy yet again.  This time it's the kneeling.  I knew going in that the lack of kneeling would be a challenge.  I hoped the reverence of the liturgy would make up for it, but it hasn't.  Right now, I'm trying to mesh my personal need for kneeling with the reverence of the service by kneeling before and after receiving Communion even if no one else does.  I guess I associate kneeling with reverence, which is not an Eastern practice.  I also associate silence, traditional hymns, and bells with reverence, all of which are gone from the Roman Rite usually.  All that is left there is the kneeling.  It seems there is no secret sauce to be had anymore.

I guess God is calling me to stop focusing on my personal preferences and stop using religion as a balm for my personal comfort.  After all, that's not the point of Jesus's coming - to make me feel comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment